January 13, 2022
(La Grande) - On January 18, 2022 the La Grande School District (LGSD) will move from the low risk level to the moderate risk level based on the district’s Communicable Disease Plan. Union County has seen an uptick in COVID-19 cases over the past week and projections by the state of Oregon and Union County demonstrate recent increases in cases are the beginning of a strong surge. LGSD defines an “event” as when a student or staff member has COVID, is a close contact, or has COVID symptoms. Between January 4, 2022 and January 13, 2022, LGSD had over 150 events. Eighteen (18) of the 150+ events are staff members.
When at the moderate risk level, recesses only occur alongside the same grade levels, seating charts are imposed and, physical distance is kept at 3 feet or more to the maximum extent possible. Additional sanitizing of common areas, restrooms, and walkways occurs; staff screening protocols and student visual screenings are reintroduced; and visitors and volunteers are not allowed. LGSD will remain vigilant regarding the wearing of masks while indoors.
LGSD has received recommendations from the Oregon Department of Education to pause extracurricular activities or ensure they follow the same-layered mitigation safety protocols which are practiced during the school day. LGSD believes sports and activities play a critical role in the overall school experience for students and that decisions regarding any action related to this school health advisory should be made at the local school level. At this time the district will continue allowing sports and activities and will continue to clearly communicate key safety practices with students and families participating in extracurricular activities.
As LGSD assesses sport safety during this pandemic wave the following will be considered:
· Cohorting teams when feasible to reduce possible exposure across programs,
· Providing extra signage, sanitizer stations/areas, and masks for those attending events,
· Potentially limiting spectators to allow for increased physical distancing,
· Potentially limiting extra contact events, especially indoors, including fundraising events, parties/team dinners, parent meetings, award ceremonies, etc.,
· Live streaming events,
· Pausing concessions, and/or
· Prohibiting food and drink consumption during events (except athletes).
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Superintendent Mendoza at George.Mendoza@lagrandesd.org.